Coursera

I like my ‘Coursera’ post the best.

http://susant.trubox.ca/wp-admin/post.php?post=16&action=edit       

It seems to me to get just the right balance of personal anecdote and general knowledge so that I feel engaged and ‘on the inside’ but not overwhelmed by it. Also it has a certain economy of writing style which is well suited to the blog format.

In terms of what I’ve learned in this course, I think the distinction between surface and deep teaching and learning has been very important. There is a tendency in the on line education environment to rely on the surface and so lose sight of what deep education looks like. So I also found the alignment discussion very interesting.

I’d like to know how an exclusively on line asynchronous environment would impact most of the theories we’ve looked at, in particular, theories of feedback. I’m also curious about the degree of impact feedback has on excellent students?

Until there is a major rewrite of the course I teach, there’s not much that be done regarding alignment. But in another respect, as I noted elsewhere, I can improve alignment by bringing my comments more into line with the rubric which is available on the course website.